home
history
terms & conditions
guidance notes
application forms
leaving a legacy
contact details
documents
 
 
 
History
 
100 years ago in 1903 the Swedish Countess, Emily Augusta Louise Lind-af-Hageby founded the Animal Defence and Anti Vivisection Society which she ran until her death on 12 December 1963 from Animal Defence House, 15 St James's Place, London, SW1.
 
Following her death it became necessary to separate her assets from those of the Society and in February 1970 the vice Chancellor in the Chancery Division of the High Court gave judgement that 29/60ths of her assets, including Animal Defence House, belonged to the Society, subject to 24 of such 29ths being settled on Charitable Trusts to carry on the charitable purposes of the Society. In September 1971, with the approval of the Court and of the Attorney General, the Animal Defence Trust was registered with the Charity Commission as a registered charity. Trust Deed
 
Later, following the liquidation of the Society, which had become a company limited by guarantee, the Commercial Court ruled in a judgement in 1991 that the surplus assets in the liquidation of the incorporated society should be transferred to the Animal Defence Trust including the proceeds of sale of the Society's 237 acres Ferne Estate, near Shaftesbury, Dorset. Charity Commission Order
 
As a result, the Animal Defence Trust has been able, with largely the old Society's assets, to carry out the old Society's longstanding solely animal welfare charitable purpose.
 
The Trust
 
The Trustees meet annually in July to consider applications from charities registered in the UK or Eire for capital projects for animal welfare or animal protection projects only (see Terms & Conditions).
 
Meeting Minutes are available in the Documents section of this site
 
Grant applications must be submitted by 31 March in the relevant year.